How do diversity, equity, and inclusion contribute to excellence, creativity, competitive advantage, and relevance in both orthopaedic surgery and scientific publishing? How can we achieve greater diversity among authors, editors, and reviewers at top journals? What specific steps can individuals and organizations take to create a more diverse, inclusive, and equitable environment that provides greater opportunities for under-represented groups?
We have a mailbag! If you have any feedback or comments about the latest episode or other relevant topics, feel free to send us a line at the OrthoJOE Mailbag: [email protected].
- Equity and inequality in surgery
- “Getting to excellence” and “being diverse and inclusive” are key targets
- How can we be more inclusive in the publishing industry and within our fields of expertise?
- The orthopaedic gender gap
- What more should we be doing?
- Rallying the voices of others
- Being aware of what’s happening in your office
- Thinking broadly about change
- Scholl E, Badwall HK, Bhandari M. Equity in Surgery: Being Diverse and Inclusive, Isn’t Enough. OE Insights. Sept. 5, 2020. https://myorthoevidence.com/Download/5ac93c79-38a3-4e9e-b5bc-ce225882ac75.
- Okike K, Liu B, Lin YB, Torpey JL, Kocher MS, Mehlman CT, Bhandari M, Biermann JS. The orthopedic gender gap: trends in authorship and editorial board representation over the past 4 decades. Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ). 2012 Jul;41(7):304-10. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22893880/
- Hiller KP, Boulos A, Tran MM, Cruz AI Jr. What Are the Rates and Trends of Women Authors in Three High-impact Orthopaedic Journals from 2006-2017? Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2020 Jul;478(7):1553-1560. doi: 10.1097/CORR.0000000000001043. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31688211/
- Ray GS, Lechtig A, Rozental TD, Bernstein DN, Merchan N, Johnson AH. Gender Disparities in Financial Relationships Between Industry and Orthopaedic Surgeons. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2020 Feb 19;102(4):e12. doi: 10.2106/JBJS.19.00669. https://jbjs.org/reader.php?id=205772&rsuite_id=2266005&native=1&source=The_Journal_of_Bone_and_Joint_Surgery/102/4/e12/abstract&topics=oe#info