Perioperative and Transitional Care
In this episode, Marc and Mo are joined by special guest P.J. Devereaux, Director of the Division of Perioperative Care at McMaster University, in an informative discussion on the future of perioperative and transitional care. With much of the world still dealing with a third wave of the Covid pandemic, and with hospital access continuing to be a challenge because of high rates of ER visits and hospital readmissions, how can we optimize the safety and care of patients both intraoperatively and postoperatively?
- How has Covid helped us to rethink how we might improve care for our patients in the future?
- How can we most effectively monitor patients after they leave the orthopaedic surgical suite?
- What measures can we take to send patients home both sooner and safer?
- What are the roles of technology, personnel, data monitoring, and established protocols in ensuring timely and improved patient care after discharge?
- What are the cost considerations associated with technology and technology support? How do these costs compare with those of ER visits and rehospitalizations?
- How might the development of a new discipline of perioperative and transitional care help to save lives, provide better patient experiences, improve outcomes, and avoid overloading our ERs and hospitals?
OrthoJOE Mailbag: feedback, comments, and suggestions from our audience can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Prada C, Chang Y, Poolman R, Johal H, Bhandari M. Best practices for surgeons. COV/0-19 Evidence-Based Scoping Review. https://myoe.blob.core.windows.net/docs/OE-Best-Practices-for-Surgeons-COVID-19-Evidence-Based-Scoping-Review.pdf
- Prvu Bettger J, Green CL, Holmes DN, Chokshi A, Mather RC 3rd, Hoch BT, de Leon AJ, Aluisio F, Seyler TM, Del Gaizo DJ, Chiavetta J, Webb L, Miller V, Smith JM, Peterson ED. Effects of Virtual Exercise Rehabilitation In-Home Therapy Compared with Traditional Care After Total Knee Arthroplasty: VERITAS, a Randomized Controlled Trial. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2020 Jan 15;102(2):101-109. doi: 10.2106/JBJS.19.00695. PMID: 31743238. link
Brought to you by Mohit Bhandari and Marc Swiontkowski of OrthoJOE